Friday, April 19, 2013

Names

This week's topic was suggested to the LBC by Grannymar.  Check the gang out (links on the right), because it is always a good journey!


When you are young, you live in a variety of houses over time.  At least, I did.  I am talking about that period when you have left the nest, but haven't really formed your own nest yet.  The period when it is good to be unattached, when life is fluid and experimental, when you are figuring yourself out as an adult. It is a good stretch and there may be many memorable houses along the way.


Then you meet someone, someone special.  You start looking at the future, your career, a mate and children.  It is a big step.  You are preparing to build your own nest.  This is a totally different life focus and it profoundly changes you.  My son and his wife are now in that process and look at the almost completed result:




This is the house that their offer was accepted on!  They now just need to hope that the appraisal is high enough to cover the loan, but once that hurdle is passed, this will be the location of their new nest.


It is a tree lined street:




The back yard is great:




Great kitchen:




Nice living room:




And what exactly does this have to do with names, which is our topic after all?  When you are footloose and fancy free, you live in a series of houses.  But, when it becomes the nest you have chosen and that you have put your fortune and your commitment and your plans into, the place to share with your mate and to start your expanding family, you call it a different name.  It isn't your house any longer.  My daughter-in-law invited us to come over and check it out this evening by saying, "Do you want to come see our new home?"


That is one important name change!

21 comments:

  1. I would be very comfortable walking along that avenue and sitting in the lovely home. May their roots go deep, the kitchen always have food and the rafters ring with love and laughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a heartwarming story, consort. In one final move, the name changes from house to "home."
    blessings ~ maxi

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Grannymar

    This neighborhood reminds me of the neighborhood with a tree lined street that my paternal grandparents had. Since it was the home of an elderly woman and was built in the 1940's, it has more of the old neighborhood feel and the plants and trees are all very established. They will now modify and make it their own and I am really happy for them!

    Now we have our fingers crossed that the appraisal is at a high enough level to match the offer. If that happens, it is all good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Maxi

    Agreed. The difference between a house and a home is enormous, a gap as wide as the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really nice house on a beautiful, quiet street.
    bikehikebabe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice place to have a first home - very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @bhb

    Yes it is. Very peaceful location.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @shackman

    You are the only one of the gang who would understand this response and I bet you will know right where they are when I tell you that the house is "in the Vias."

    ReplyDelete
  9. What? Lorenzo Lamas lived there???? Ya know it's a pity the houses here are here - if ya know what I mean - price would probably be half to three quarters what it is. Houses comparable to our house on Bradford - very near you bordering Eden Gardens school - were going for 45-50K here. They've inched up to a whopping 75-80K now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. @shackman

    Yep! Where Mr. Lamas is a saint! And I know just exactly what you mean with the houses and the prices. T'would be nice indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @shackman

    My husband and his brothers grew up on Bradford and went to Eden Gardens. Small world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lafawnda my Bradford address had brothers that grew up there - I'll email Fos with the number. My son loved that he could hop the fence to go to school.

      Delete
  12. I don't normally go for gooey sayings but will make an exception: "Home is where the heart is". And since my heart is - by necessity - where I am I always feel at home. Which is, even when finding myself in a ditch with no more than an umbrella as a roof over my head, I feel very lucky indeed.

    All the best to your son and his wife,
    U

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bingo Toff! My topi's off to you.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice! That looks like PH or WC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. @U

    I have shared that sentiment at times in my life, but it is nice to have settled to a more permanent home to call home.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Rummuser

    One more place for you to see when you come visit!

    ReplyDelete
  17. @Delirious

    PH or WC? Nope, but you put the place in good company!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @shackman

    Lafawnda and I checked it out and the houses are just 7 houses apart. That's not very far!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope - it is really cool - checked with J and the name is not familiar but she's a bit older than Lafawnda so that would explain it - We loved living on that street

      Delete
  19. Hi there! This post couldn't be written much better! Looking through this post reminds me of my previous roommate! He constantly kept preaching about this. I will send this article to him. Pretty sure he will have a great read. Thanks for sharing!

    Look into my web page: http://affordable-dental-plan.org/Dental-plans-and-dental-care

    ReplyDelete

If a post is older than 7 days, the comment will go for moderation. Sorry for that inconvenience, but it cuts down on spam and it is much better than Captcha. I promise to check the moderation folder regularly.