Friday, February 1, 2013

Half Full Glass

glass_half_full

It is so classic that as soon as it is mentioned everyone knows what you are talking about.  Padmini brought to the Loose Blogger Consortium the “Glass Half Full.”  And it always is used to demonstrate the different view of the same thing by those with an optimistic outlook on life compared to those who are pessimists.

Well, it has been used so much that it is becoming … predictable.  So, let’s see if we can throw a monkey wrench into the works.  Let’s add one more person to the mix, the rational, logical man.  Let’s add the engineer!

Question: What do you see above?

Optimist: I see a glass half full of water.

Pessimist: I see a glass that is half empty.

Engineer: I see a glass twice the necessary size for the water available.

As Ramana showed in a post earlier this week, context and perspective is everything!  Do you know anyone like our engineer?  I’m already thinking of a couple.

14 comments:

  1. So can I. In fact a whole lot of them.

    Brilliant approach TOF. My compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As long as there is a bottle of single malt handy who cares whether it's half full or half empty - either condition can easily be rectified!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait now just a minute............ That glass is half nuttin!

    The water is still pouring and we all know that the work isn't done till the flow stops! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @grannymar

      Couldn't find a pic of a glass half filled, too lazy to take a pic myself, so half nuttin! As for the flow stopping, sexagenarians don't want to hear about that.

      Delete
    2. But Fos - some flows now never seem to stop - they drip like faucets (or so I've been told)

      Delete
  4. Great take on this ageless classic, Consort. Good job. Gotta say, I really like Shackman's view. And GM is being totally realistic in what she sees.
    Blessings ~ Maxi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. @Maxi

      It is a matter of synchronicity. The three way comparison literally appeared unbidden on my phone two days ago via Instagram and I just remolded it.

      Now the question becomes, "which is better, to be creative and brilliant or to be receptive to the magic of the universe?"

      Delete
  5. @shackman

    That is precisely what I was avoiding talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  6. TOF it does not surprise me at all that synchronicity worked its magic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm shocked! LOL. My belief is that it is the only thing that operates, but we can't always see the connection.

      Delete
  7. lol actually, I'm married to an engineer

    ReplyDelete

If a post is older than 7 days, the comment will go for moderation. Sorry for that inconvenience, but it cuts down on spam and it is much better than Captcha. I promise to check the moderation folder regularly.